Thursday, January 29, 2009

Good parenting gone wrong

As Roo was getting ready to go to school today, he told me he had a tummy ache. I asked if he needed to go potty and he said no. Then he said he needed to stay home. I said that he could stay home if he was sick, but that during school hours, he needed to be laying quietly in his bed and not playing his Nintendo DS. He asked if he would lose it all day and I said it was just until Jamo got home. My logic was thus:

If he wasn't really that sick and just wanted to stay home with the Nintendo, taking it away during school hours would be a deterrent to exaggerating.

If he really was sick, I wasn't threatening him with the loss of it all day. I don't want him going to school if he shouldn't be.

He said he wanted to go to school, so I got him on the bus. An hour later I got a call from the school that he has diarrhea and could I bring him some more pants. I told them that I would be bringing him home as well. I'm one of those parents who thinks that organizations mean it when they say to not bring your kid if they have puked, had diarrhea, a rash, etc. less than 24 hours ago. I think it is respectful to the organization (church, daycare, school, etc) as well as the parents of the other children. So, tomorrow I will be missing my trip to the YMCA and Roo will be missing school.

And for the record, the Nintendo is only removed for unsubstantiated claims of illness. He is playing on it right now. :)

9 chocolate lovers:

Trisha said...

It's so hard to tell if they are really sick, isn't it?

Hayes pulls the sick card when he doesn't want to do something. He did that during the first month of school or so. I went to pick him up from the nurse's office and he was all, "Hi Mom!" Too bad it was the same day as Little Gym. He didn't get to go. I think he learned his lesson.

Hope Daven feels better!

James and Lesley said...

You Go Mommy! Your such an awesome Mom! Also, GREAT parenting tip: (If he really was sick, I wasn't threatening him with the loss of it all day. I don't want him going to school if he shouldn't be....

Deanne said...

Poor guy! We had the whole stomach thing a few weeks ago and it's wasn't fun. Hope he's feeling better soon!

Jilly Bean said...

Poor kid. That sounds pretty crappy, no pun intended. :) Sick days can be hard on mamas too. Good luck.

Steven and Becky Trujillo said...

Sounds pretty logical to me. How are things going with the house and hubby?

Becky T.

Laurie said...

Good for you. I wish more parents would be respectful to all and keep their kids home when they are sick so the rest of us don't get it. You go girl. I say good parenting gone even better!

Mamapierce said...

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel about Anna's contusion on her heel. *sigh*

Victoria :) said...

Poor little guy. That's the worst and then to be sick in a public setting - even worse. Hope he is feeling better and good for you for keeping him home.

Dunstan Family said...

I get soooo incredibly frustrated when people take their kids to church when they are sick. grr. haha I am a respector as well.