Friday, March 20, 2009

Screwing up my kids

This has just been a rough morning and it isn't even noon. I just want to hide under my covers.

I spilled my breakfast shake on myself while trying to go out to the van to go to cardio. I was carrying too much stuff and the tab closing the shaker cup popped off. Did I change my outfit? No, this totally classy mom went to cardio class complete with a huge brown wet spot on her shirt. Hey, at least I wiped it off a little bit and cleaned the floor.

At cardio, I was totally prepared for Pam to kick my hiney. I had 2 ankle braces and a wrist brace on. I was going to do those dang mountain climbers! My wrist and ankle did AWESOME! I was sooooo happy. But then on the second set, my knee went berserk. WHAT?! I've never had knee problems! Bad ankles, yes. Bad wrists, yes. Bad fingers, yes. But never my knee. That I can remember at least... I actually did not cry though. You can all be proud. :o) But I am super concerned. I can't give up my daily trips to the Y! I just can't! It is the only thing keeping me sane (other than blogging of course). I can't have a bad knee! It's been over 2 hours and it still isn't feeling normal. Argh.

I went to pick up the kids from Tot Watch and Roo was near tears. Apparently his friend told him he wasn't cool anymore because a new kid there has a watch that does neat stuff. I took it as a learning opportunity and asked him if Heavenly Father would rather have him be cool or be nice. Of course he answered right, but then he said how great the watch was and how he wanted one. I said that it did indeed sound like a cool watch, but it wasn't important. We can't take cool watches with us to heaven. The important things, our family, what we learn, etc. are the things we get to take with us to heaven. And then he really started crying. "I can't take my computer? Or my Webkinz? Or my Pokemon? WAAAHHHHH!!!" Great. Apparently 5 is a little too early for this kind of discussion. I told him that heaven would have everything he could possibly need. Being the smart boy he is, he said, "But can I take my toys?" "You will have everything you need there, sweetie." Smart kid asked again, realizing I wasn't really answering his question. As Monk would say "It's a gift... and a curse." Sometimes it is hard that he is so observant.

I'm just curious what you guys would have said in this situation. I thought I was saying all the right things, but I seemed to make things worse. Is he too young? Is he too materialistic? What have I done?!

Oh, I hope the rest of the day goes better!

***In good news, I heard the trash truck coming and got it out there literally the second he pulled up. YEAH!!***

9 chocolate lovers:

Deanne said...

I think you're doing just fine. I never know exactly how much to answer my kid's questions.

Today Sophie asked me very thought provokingly, "Mom, if babies are up in heaven, how do they get in your belly?". Not wanting to get to the 'how babies are made' discussion just yet (she is only 5). I said, "Heavenly Father puts them there". She didn't stop there and said, "how?" I said, "I don't know. He just does." How's that for a vague answer! =)

Mamapierce said...

Your kids sound completely normal. I think that Roo just wanted to feel cool and to fit in. Nothing more. And who doesn't want a way cool watch? I do!

coxandroberts said...

I think you did great. You are not messing up your kids. It is just hard when they want to be the popular or cool one. The cool watch will wear off soon.

nicole said...

I'm sorry your day was rough. :( I can so relate to this post. It sure seems like some days are just like that, when one trying thing happens after the next. As for the discussion about the watch, I agree with the others, I think it could have been a teaching moment, and you did the right thing by teaching him a gospel principle. Maybe it will just take a while for it to sink in. :)

elg said...

Ever try swimming? It can be very rewarding. It's not as social, but it's a lot nicer to your body!

Extraordinary Swimming For Every Body - a Total Immersion instructional book

SeekerofGrace said...

I think you did great. I dread the day when I have to answer those questions. And though I don't worry about taking things with me to heaven, I'm still not too cool about not being married to my wonderful hubby up there. Hmmn.... :( Maybe I'm being "peopleistic" instead of "materialistic"...

Janalee, Ryan, Emilee said...

I'm saving for theory not college for my children. They will need it after I'm done with them! No seriously, they are just normal children trying to learn social norms. It is great that they have a mom who can lovingly guide them.

Cindi said...

oh, the fear of missing the garbage truck, lol.
You're doing great, hang in there!

Robyn said...

I'm sorry about your knees. It is so frustrating to be held back by pain. I know all about that..

I would have handled it the same way you did. He's totally normal!