Saturday, March 7, 2009

Identity theft

I'm pretty sure this isn't what the solicitor had in mind while he was annoying me the other day.

This morning was the boys' last basketball game. I dropped off Tylerr and the boys so they could get there early for practice. Then I went to park and bring in Stink. While getting her out, my racquetball buddy parked next to me. I was sufficiently distracted talking to her and since it wasn't very cold outside, I forgot to put on my coat. In my coat is my Y ID. I went to check Stink into the Tot Watch, but I needed a picture ID. I was too lazy to go back to the van, so I just left my driver's license. I had a really bad feeling about it, but I ignored it. The boys' game would be starting soon and I wanted a good seat. And I'm lazy.

The boys' game went, uh, okay. They won the game, making their team the undefeated champions of their league. Sounds good right? Let's just say the team won despite my boys. How bad was it? They got in a fist fight in the middle of the game. With each other. Utterly humiliating.

Already in a bad mood, I went to get Stink from Tot Watch. My driver's license was gone. I asked the attendant and she said that only 1 other person had been in after me. We tore the entire room apart, going through boxes of books, plastic fruit, toys, bean bags, etc. I finally decided that one of the kids was not to blame, leaving only the lady. We had her paged. She didn't answer. She didn't have her location on her sign in, but the attendant knew where she was. Tylerr volunteered to go ask her if she'd seen it. I've mentioned before that I come from a tall family, so he can be an intimidating presence. She told him she only left an ID and didn't take one. We tore the room apart again. No luck. I went to the front desk and explained the situation. I'd have to file a police report if my license went missing. You don't want your ID floating around. I asked if they could please talk to her as it might mean more coming from a worker than my brother.

Then I went back to the Tot Watch and waited. The worker came back holding my ID. PHEW!!! She said the lady was very embarrassed. I'll bet. Especially since my brother already asked her. Anyway, don't leave your driver's license out people. Don't be stupid like me.

And lest you think that was the end of my exciting day, the rest of the day included Jamo's birthday party and driving an hour and a half in the pouring rain to get Tylerr to the airport. Who me? Stressed? Nah....

5 chocolate lovers:

Trisha said...

Your stories continue to amaze (and entertain) me.

Alexandra said...

Wow, you got lucky, what a mess that would have been! So glad your day didn't turn out any worse.

Cindy said...

I hate anything associated with identity theft. It makes you feel so exposed and afraid of what they might do with the info. This last summer a hospital that I used to work at and was a patient at had a ton of peoples personal information stolen in the form of micro film. It was being taken by a currier for a storage facility to the actual storage facility and he just decided to take a quick break at home....leaving the info on his front seat....when he came back the files were gone. A couple of weeks later we got letters saying that my info along with Tan's and Brin's were among the info that was stolen. It was later recovered but decided to offer us a years worth of i.d. theft monitoring just to make sure....which was nice, but the also made it known very publicly that they were doing this....so if you have this info and are a crook you just hold onto it for a year then use it....so dumb!

Sara said...

I knew by your title it would be interesting!

Sarah C said...

I am glad you got your ID back. It sounds like you had a busy day.