Friday, February 20, 2009

Wah!!!

Yeah, ya'll know I'm on the emotional side, don't deny it. I was at cardio this morning, and they started doing mountain climbers. (Going down to your hands and jumping backwards into a push up position). Those are hard enough on me since my left wrist is a mess and doesn't like supporting my weight. But, to add to the issue, after breaking my right ankle in April of '07, I've had a huge mental block about it. I got the cast off a few days before my sister's wedding. The next week was Brad's graduation. Then we fly to MI to house hunt. Shortly after getting the boot off, it was packing and moving to MI, then unpacking and acclimating to my new home. What I'm saying is that even though my ortho suggested I get into physical therapy to improve the range of motion, I never did. Didn't make the priority list. I'm able to do most anything. Anything except jumping and landing on it in awkward positions a la mountain climbers. But today, I thought, "Hey, Melisa, it has been almost 2 yrs since you broke your ankle. You can do this you wimp." So, I tried it. And I tweaked my ankle. And I started to cry. Right in the middle of cardio. Not heaving sobs, just a trickle. I wasn't crying because it hurt so bad, because it didn't hurt more than anything you can just shake out. But because, I just don't think I'm ready for it mentally, and that is kind of discouraging. I don't want to be wimpy.

Immediately after cardio, my new friend Monique and I played racquetball. She has some killer corner shots. Had me running all over the place. So then I had to hit the hot tub after because I was just plain sore.

And to answer the kettlebell questions, here is a video you can watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx7KOxcbqpc

And yes, it does get worse. There are some way crazy exercises, but this gives you the basics.

5 chocolate lovers:

b-rad said...

I think little movements like that will get you more balance practice. So keep working your way up to where you want to be!

Becky said...

You are the woman! I wouldn't even try, I'd excuse myself to go to the bathroom or claim I had answer an important call from Zimbabwe.

Mamapierce said...

How are you feeling now? Did you do any permanent damage or did it just hurt initially??

Cindy said...

I'm just proud of you for keeping up on exercising....this week I'm on sebatical....I'm hoping that one week off will help kick my body and mind into losing weight again....keep up the good work....and good luck with your ankle!

Unknown said...

Hang in there girl. I'm proud of you too for keeping up with the exercising.

Thanks for answering the kettlebell question!