Monday, June 22, 2009

Cruisin'

I try to stay close to my house. I'm not used to Philly traffic yet. But I had a few dollars left on a Little Caesar's gift card, and I thought that was worth driving 20 minutes to redeem. Crazy Melisa. I thought I'd share with all of you some driving rules I somehow missed in driving school.

  • It is okay to park in the middle of the street as long as it is for less than 10 minutes.
  • You must proceed halfway into the intersection before your light turns green.
  • You can turn left even without an arrow as long as you can do it before the oncoming cars hit you. Most likely this is why you are halfway into the intersection before your light turns green.
  • It is okay to turn LEFT on a RED light if there isn't any traffic going the opposite direction.
  • If you are in a left turning lane and the arrow changes to merely a green light, the next 3 or 4 cars should still try to turn. This is okay to do until the oncoming traffic advances and honks.
  • It is important to honk at anyone who doesn't adhere to these rules.

The thing that is sad is that I can almost understand the left turn rules. There are soooo few left turn arrows here. I don't know why anyone even tries to turn left in this town. You take your life in your hands every time you do. But I really could do without everyone honking at me when I haven't started advancing before the light turns green.

Doesn't driving in Philly sound fun? :o)

9 chocolate lovers:

Trisha said...

I would go crazy with that traffic!

Unknown said...

Isn't Philly wonderful???!!!! ha ha

I try to avoid it at ALL COSTS!!!!

I drive to Newtown and Yardley frequently and that is the ONLY time I will drive PART WAY into Philly....ha ha

Rachel said...

Haha! Sounds like a blast :)

elg said...

Ah, memories. :)

The funny thing is, you'll never look at Utah drivers the same way again. You'd think you'd be grateful for them, but once you've learned to drive back east you'll realize that as crazy as they are they have one very important thing going for them: THEY'RE PAYING ATTENTION.

SeekerofGrace said...

SHEESH. That would drive me nuts and my hubby would probably be right at home. lol. It sounds like driving in Argentina.

Jessi said...

Whoa! My friends here from Philly have discussed, at length, the driving rules there....especially the process for turning 'left'. Big city traffic just amazes me.

Unknown said...

OH MY GOODNESS....
What an adventure! Glad you made it home safely!

Brooke said...

I don't think Philly drivers would like me. The other day I was so out of it I stopped on my green turn arrow. There was another car coming my way who stopped for their red light, and I kept waiting for them to go. Getting annoyed, and almost honked at them before I realized that I could go. But by then it was too late, they had a green light and I really had to wait. Luckily there was no one behind me.
Also, I think it's so cute, Aeryn likes to be called Roo too. She's into Winnie the Pooh and calls me Kanga, sometimes she calls Tim Mrs. Kanga.

Jersey Girl in Louisiana said...

im originally from south jersey, and spent a lot of time in philly. i loved this post. thanks for the smile :o)