Thursday, April 2, 2009

He is good!

So, I finally got the whole story on the prank played on my siblings and why I was left out. I would have linked to Aubrey's blog, but since she is private, I just got her permission to copy it.

Abbie woke up at 4am on April Fools Day and was basically in and out of sleep all morning. Makes for a long morning...

Well, at about 8am I got a phone call from a number I didn't recognize, so I didn't answer it. Then the number called right back. Hmm- I was tempted to answer it in case it was Benji, but I decided to let the machine get it. I listen to the message- it is a woman from Washington state calling about an apartment I had listed on Craigslist. Strange. I figure it was just a mistake, but then I get another phone call from another random number. Same thing- the call twice in a row and then leave a message inquiring about an apartment.

My phone just kept ringing and ringing all morning. I just start laughing my head off. Someone was doing this to me as an April Fools joke. And they must have wrote up a killer ad, because EVERYONE wanted that apartment. PURE GENIUS.

I'm eager to see just what the ad says, so I hop on my laptop and go to Craigslist. And this is what I find:

Apartment in Great Shape- Great Deal

This apartment has been so good for us! The owners live next store and are wonderful. They like to rent the apartment cheap because they want it to be manageable for poor college students (like us). We would stay here forever but because of personal reasons we have to leave.

2 bedroom
1 bathroom
washer and dryer
heating and ac
option to continue internet and cable for $50
Great ward
carport parking large enough for 2 cars
INCREDIBLE AMOUNT OF STORAGE!

We have loved living here. Please send an email or call Aubrey @ or email to aub@bmail.com (Please do not email or call between 9:30pm-9:30am). If no answer the first time, try calling again right away and if no answer again leave a message. Make sure to let Aubrey know you are calling regarding the ad Jeremy posted.

Oh boy- no wonder. That is a steal in Provo! And with the ever growing number of engaged couples looking for housing...once again, PURE GENIUS.

Well, then I go to check my email. Oh my goodness-- there are even MORE emails for this apartment than there were phone calls! And these people are desperate: "My fiance and I saw your ad and it is just what we're looking for. Please let us know if it is still available..." Oh great. Now I'm starting to feel bad. So I go through all of my emails and respond that the apartment is no longer available (I don't want them to know it was all just a joke)

Suddenly the phone rings. Oh boy. Not again. But this time it's a number I recognize- it's Travis, my brother. I pick it up and he says "HA HA HA. Very funny, Aubrey". I ask him what he's talking about and he says "The little craigslist ad you posted in my name. I've been getting calls all morning and I have to answer it because it's my work phone...I told the first few people that I had no idea what they were talking about, but then I asked a lady to read the ad to me and it said 'Make sure to let Travis know you are calling regarding the ad his sister Aubrey posted' ". I laughed so hard and told Travis that the same thing had happened to me, only it said that Jeremy had posted it.

Travis immediately concludes that it must be Tylerr or Gerrick. He said he's going to call them and find out. Well, I call Travis back a little bit later to see what he found out. He said he talked to Gerrick. Imagine this- Travis calling to accuse Gerrick of this prank and this is how Gerrick answers the phone:"How dare you! I've been getting phone calls all morning about an apartment listed on Craigslist and they said that Travis posted it..."

So, we all found ourselves in quite the twisted little circle. We called Jeremy, who initially thought he was free from the prank and kept saying "I've been framed!" as we threw out our accusations. But when he got home and checked his email...he got quite the surprise-he'd been hit as well, and supposedly "Gerrick" listed the ad.

To get to the point...it turns out that the culprit behind it all was none other than my dear sweet husband BENJI!! He was behind all of the ads! When I figured out it was Benji, I told him "Benji, that was amazing. I love you even more than I did before, if that's possible"I still can't get over how brilliant it all was. He knew that all of us are suspicious of each other for evil deeds, so we were quick to accuse each other. I asked why he didn't involve Tylerr or Melisa. He said that he would feel bad doing it to Melisa since she really is trying to sell her home and didn't want to bombard her with phone calls or false hopes. And "I did do it to Tylerr as well". Really? Hmm?

So we call Tylerr to see if he got any messages. Benji calls from his cell phone and says "Hey Tylerr". The immediate response "Look! I don't have an apartment for sale! You have the wrong number!" and hangs up. And... it wasn't Tylerr. Apparently Tylerr got a new phone number recently and Benji doesn't have it...oops. Poor random guy. He probably got tons of calls about the apartment Benji listed in Salt Lake at such a great deal.

Anyway, there you have it. My hubby is quite the little trickster and my brothers are more than ready to seek revenge!
****************************

I just about died from laughing so hard. Absolutely one of the best jokes I have heard of in YEARS. Oh, Benji, we are so glad to have you in our family! You fit in with the Joneses so well. :o)

5 chocolate lovers:

Sara said...

That is hillarious!!

Unknown said...

hehehe!!! I wish I were so genius!!!
I can just imagine you all getting irate and trying to figure out which sibling did this.

Croft Family said...

That's so funny! It just would not go over well in my family well on the Croft side. I don't know how the mons side would take it.

Rachel said...

LOL! I feel so bad for that random guy that got all those calls! He obviously had enough by that point :)

Victoria :) said...

That has got to be the best April Fool's joke I have ever heard!