Thursday, April 2, 2009

Feast of the Light Heart

Many years ago (I think 2001?), my family had some experiences that greatly relieved the burdens in our hearts. April 2nd was designated in my family as the Feast of the Light Heart. On April 2nd we go out to eat with grateful hearts in remembrance of our blessings both then and now.

Today as I thought about the Feast occurring tonight, my mind was preoccupied with the financial concerns we are facing with the house not selling and the new job. I had gratitude in my heart because I know we've been blessed in so many ways, but it was also heavy with concern.

Just before I left for the grocery store, the mail arrived. There was a package from a sweet friend of mine. It had Dave Ramsey's book The Financial Peace Planner. I was so excited because just last week I started listening to him and absorbing what he has to say. He's da man! I could hardly wait to get started so I opened it to read a little before leaving for the store. Out fell an envelope. As soon as I opened it, I could see that there was money in there. My jaw dropped to the floor, I'm sure. But as soon as I saw the denomination and the quantity, the tears started to flow and wouldn't stop. I am completely overwhelmed with gratitude right now. Roo couldn't figure out how I could be crying so much when I was so happy.

Tonight for our Feast, the kids and I had chili, courtesy of Debbie's recipe on Jenn's blog, and I felt a real lightness in my heart that I haven't felt in awhile. I know it was no coincidence that this gift arrived on this day, our Feast of the Light Heart day. My friend knew nothing about our family's celebration, she was just following her spirit. I am so grateful that the Lord has things so perfectly in His control that things would unfold this way. Included in her note was a reference to Psalm 27. Here is the first and last verse of that chapter:

1 The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

14 Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord.

I am so grateful for friends in my life who are answers to my prayers. I have received so much support the last few weeks that my cup runneth over. I'm sorry if I haven't told you each individually how much your support has meant to me the last 6 months. Your kind comments and encouragement have truly helped sustain me. My heart is lighter for having all of you in my life. Thank you.

15 chocolate lovers:

Katie L said...

What a great post! It's a reminder how good God is and how he brings people into our lives at just the right moment! I'm so glad you are having a great day!

ChristyLou said...

Thank you so much for sharing that...it's something we all need to remember in these unsettled times. Hang in there and I'm so glad that you had a wonderful Feast of the Light Heart Day. Yeah for amazing friends who follow the spirit.

Trisha said...

Amazing.

Ritchie Clan said...

Awesome! I love Dave Ramsey! We went to his Financial Peace University almost 2 years ago, and are doing SUPER well due to his guidance! I highly recommend his teachings to anyone! I listen to his radio show (via his website) almost everyday from 11a-2pm (PST). Loving that you have been so blessed!!

Allison said...

Oh Melisa, that is so awesome. And I have to say that I'm really glad I've gotten to know you a bit better! :)

Debbie said...

A. I LOVE how you set aside a day to remember all your blessings. Hard to do when your burdens are many. B. I LOVE the fact you referenced my chili recipe. I hope it was good! C. Heavenly Father is knows us all too well. How appropriate to recieve D.R.'s book in the mail with an added bonus! He loves you!
Thanks for posting and inspiring. Hang in there Melisa! Everything will work out.

Eran said...

I am so glad to hear that it was blessings that caused the puffy eyes. I must say that I have enjoyed being brought into your life. God brings people together to love and support one another... I feel blessed to call you my friend. I am so impressed that you set aside a day to remember your blessings.. we could all learn from you :)

Cindi said...

Tears of joy are an awesome thing - thanks for sharing.

Bea said...

Wow. That's all I can say. Amazing.

Sarah C said...

Heavenly Father has a special way of answering our prayers with the help of our friends and family. Your story reminds me how important it is to follow the promptings I receive as soon as I receive them. You never know when you are the person who will answer someone's prayer. I am glad your friend was did that for you. That is a special blessing.

Hi, I'm Ginny said...

Oh Melisa what a great story! It is amazing to see how God works through those around us to bring us peace.

Jennie said...

I've been thinking about you a lot since last night. That's when I finally got caught up with some of my reading from my blogs. I haven't been functioning like normal to want to respond back to everyone's comments. Hopefully I will be back to normal soon.

But anyway, you have been in my thoughts and prayers as I've pondered over what I could give you in support and/or advice to help you through this difficult situation.

I'm so glad you've been touched by mercy and have felt the gentle reminders of His love for you.

I'm sure you've probably already done this, but you could also ask for a blessing by your home teachers/etc. to help you through this time. Also fasting.

I wonder if you could rent your entire house out, especially for June when new residents and families are moving in. Then you could move to be with your husband. I ache for you for your long time without your husband. That's gotta be one of the hardest struggles, let alone money on top of it to worry about.

Sorry about the novel. But I'm thinking and praying for you. :)

Dion said...

Melisa! You are in my daily prayers. I'm glad to hear a little joy has entered your day.

Rachel said...

I have that book too. My Dad gave it to me when I graduated from high school, but I never got around to actually reading it. Maybe it's about time :)

We're thinking and praying for ya! Hang in there. You're dong great :)

coxandroberts said...

Wow. Thanks for sharing.