Sunday, September 14, 2008

Yikes! It's Ike!

This is a super long post. Sorry. Feel free to just look at pictures and get the idea. ;)

Michigan is no where near an ocean, so I haven't spent a lot of energy worrying about hurricanes. Perhaps I should have...


It rained all day yesterday. And when I say 'all day' what I mean is there wasn't a minute that it wasn't raining from when I woke up until 11 pm. Granted, I wasn't looking out the window all of those hours, so you'll have to take my word for it. Today is much the same. Constant rain. It hasn't always been a hard rain, though it does have its moments. But it has been sprinkling, raining, or pouring for 2 days now.

And now you are all dying to know how our basement is doing after last year and this year's flooding. (Don't worry Natalie! As soon as we hear the alarm go off, we'll get all of your stuff upstairs!)

To give you a little background, our basement was flooded when we bought it as a foreclosure. We had a double sump pump, and a water guard system installed. But then there was a storm last year that completely overwhelmed the system. There was a lake in our yard from the porch out to the trees. The sump pump just kept pumping into the backyard, which kept running into the basement. Obviously something had to change.



We spent countless hours and dollars putting in undergroud pipes. We have a large one (we are talking a foot diameter here) put at the bottom of a 60 ft long ditch. We then covered the pipe with rocks, so we wouldn't just have a huge ditch in the backyard. We connected all of the rain gutters and the sump pump to pipes that run out to the large pipe in the backyard. Then we built a berm (a small hill) so that the water wouldn't run into the yard once the ditch filled.



We didn't quite get the berm done in time, and a good sized storm that filled the ditch and came through our hole in the berm. We finished the berm and thought we were in good shape. We were wrong.
The next storm did great at keeping the water on the other side of the berm, but there was still tons of water on our side of the berm, with no way to get to the other side. Our next idea was to put a sump pump in the yard and run it into the ditch as well. It would have worked great last week, had Brad finished getting the electricity run out to it. Sigh.

Therefore, this is our first test of our new system. If this doesn't work, I honestly don't know what else we can do. At least there is an alarm on the basement system so we'll know before it starts to flood.

I have a couple of pictures on this blog, but if you want to see the slides, you'll have to log into the cookie blog. There are lots and lots. I took some originally, because I thought the water was so high, but it just kept getting higher and higher and higher, so there are multiple set of pictures.

9 chocolate lovers:

Natalie said...

It's okay...I'm not worried! :) What a pain, though, for you to have to deal with all that. I never thought Michiganders would need to worry about Gulf Coast hurricanes, but that's obviously not the case! Thanks again for storing our stuff for us. You don't know how much you helped us out! BTW, I'm glad you're done with the inside of the house. What a huge job!

Debbie said...

Lot's to deal with but hey, at least you have very green grass! I hope it all passes the test this stormy season!

The Melo's said...

YIKES! I hope it all works out and the flooding stops.

Becky said...

Come on, you know that you live on a peninsula, so this was bound to happen. Whatever?! That's crazy. If you're going to have a hurricane up there you had better get the palm trees to boot. Our town house has a sump pump and I really do hope it's working, yikes for Ikes!

Victoria :) said...

Wow! You all have done an amazing amount of work! I don't have a clue about any of that stuff. I guess when you purchase a house that has flooding issues you learn it pretty quick.

Crazy, I haven't really watched the news to see what happened to Ike. I just know that here we had a light drizzle for part of the day yesterday and when we woke up this morning it was bright and sunny. Not a drop of rain! That is nuts considering I am the one that lives in Dallas! That will teach you to ignore the weather on the coast!

Croft Family said...

Wow sounds like a lot of work and money to keep that dang water out of your basement. Not fun!

Missy said...

Yeah, it was all I could do to keep from laughing when a new move-in from the West prayerfully expressed their gratefulness for the "rain we have received" here in Michigan one Sunday... not really something we lack for the most part. I am more inclined to worry about my basement's flooding issues as well.

Most Michiganders I've talked to look at me as if I'm from space for expecting to have a fully dry and functional basement. "This is Michigan." That's supposed to be my answer.

nathan said...

Thanks for your cute comment!I can finally see someone who Nate is meeting, it was so nice of you to have him over for dinner. I can't wait to meet you guys!

Laura said...

Melisa, I totally feel for you on this issue. We live in Peoria, IL and have a basement with a sump pump also. Tom and I had to go out of town when Ike hit here and we were pretty worried we were going to come home to a giant flood in our house. That sump pump was working overtime!! Anyways, I hope you get it all figured out and can remain as dry as possible. Good luck :)