Thursday, May 14, 2009

I am so ashamed

I am a bad mom. If there were a license for parenting, it would get revoked today. Okay, maybe I'm being dramatic, but I am feeling really guilty.

I love that my boys can read. They amaze me every day with their abilities. Well, I've had a long and fairly wretched day. I've been trying to get Sugar to sleep but she keeps playing the potty card. I've been trying to listen to Roo read, but it is frequently interrupted by Sugar's potty calls and Jamo's homework help. There is only one of me and I can't do it all. One of the kids is going to be neglected and mom is going to feel pulled in all directions and worn thin.

And on that note, I had just finished another trip upstairs to impose sleep, when Roo came up to me with a look of concern on his adorable little face. He was holding something in his hand that I immediately recognized, a tag from the mattress. Now you know where I'm going and why I'm an awful mom, huh.

He tells me his story about why he ripped off the tag and then says, "But mom, it says 'do not remove under penalty of law', so what should I do?" And in my moment of weakness, I said, "I guess we need to tell the police." Of course, wailing and tears followed, after all, what kind of mother would torment her poor son like that? I felt guilty the second I saw his face fall and the tears flow and I told him I was only kidding, and that the tag says it can be removed by the consumer and he is the consumer. Then I had to explain that the tag is for stores only, not people. Anyway, it took a bit of explaining, but he is no longer worried about prison. Poor 5 yr old boy. If I had energy, I'd probably be crying from mommy guilt, but as it is, I don't even have energy to cry.

16 chocolate lovers:

Sarah C said...

I am sorry things are so hard right now. I wish I was there to help you. Just think, only a few more weeks and you will have two parents to run the home. Yay! Good luck.

Anonymous said...

you would only be a bad mom if he still thought he was going to jail. You are doing fine. Anytime I am feeling low and guilty for something I said or did, I think of how good my kids are...and about all those REALLY bad mothers out there. Your kids are loved...and slipping up is okay...it happens to all of us.

Cindi said...

Three I find a lot harder than two and you're right someone is always neglected and I always feel guilty.

That was kinda funny, something my husband would say for sure...my son used to cry but he has caught onto dad's evil sense of humor, haha.

Mamapierce said...

You're a great mom. You're doing your best. Pray that God will make up the rest when you've done all that you can do. ((HUGS))

coxandroberts said...

You wouldn't have your mom license revoked. I do that kind of stuff too. My kids just roll their eyes and walk away at this point. Plus, they do it right back. You are doing an incredible job! Hang in there. Soon you will finally by in Philly and you will see the strength this has given you.

Eran said...

When you feel overwhelmed and worn thin just look at that great countdown on your page :)

Melisa, you are doing a great job! Three is hard, I always feel like I am neglecting someone myself. Just look at how wonderful your children are, how loved they are! You are AMAZING! Keep your head up... that way you can see the smiles on their faces :0)

Jenn said...

Okay, I'm sorry, but that was REALLY funny!! I've done similar emotional abuse before...and so far, they've turned out fine.

And, I hate the potty card.

Erin said...

I think you get to keep your mom lisence. I told Sarah the police were going to take her away because she wouldn't keep her car buckles on. Today I said I needed to drive slow so the police wouldn't come and give me a ticket and Sarah frantically said, I have my buckles on they can't take me."

Victoria :) said...

(Smiles!) That is completely something Jayson would have done to one of our boys! ...and trust me he has yet to get his parenting license revoked! :o) You've seen the video...remember "show mommy the bird". Geez. Kinda hard to keep the kids in-line if ya can't keep the daddy in-line.
I wish I was there to help you. Too bad you aren't leaving until July! (Smiles!) That was a joke!

Rachel said...

Hahaha! Poor kiddo!

Cindy said...

You've got to allow youself this moment of humor....that was hilarious! I know it's bad, but I love to mess with my kids....just a little....it makes up for all of the times when they mess with me. Hang in there!

Unknown said...

LOL....that is too funny. I can't wait to do that to mine! :)

b-rad said...

Hey, that is my job to tease our kids! But I guess somebody has to do it since I have been gone. I cannot wait to be with you again!

Robyn said...

I just read your blog and don't know how you do it. You are so strong. And a little tease too! I thought it was funny!

amberd. said...

Melisa! Whut a stinker! But you're not awful....you're great! You make me giggle. hang in there.

Janalee, Ryan, Emilee said...

I love it. lol!