Thursday, February 26, 2009

Fine. If you insist

Apparently, my body is done arguing with me and is taking matters into its own hands by causing me pain. It has my attention now. Perhaps spending 3 hours at the Y every day is a little bit much. I was ignoring the general tiredness and sore muscles, but there are some things I cannot ignore.

I was doing my lovely gentle yoga class this morning. And now you are wondering how on earth someone could get hurt in GENTLE yoga. There is a pose, called child's pose, where you kneel down, sit on your legs and stretch out your hands along the floor, almost like bowing. My ankle doesn't really appreciate the weight in an awkward position. But today, we did hero pose, which is similar, only instead of laying forward and distributing your weight along your legs, you are sitting up, essentially on your ankles. Yeah. Really bad idea. Yes, I cried. Yes, I am a wimp. It was more of a tender/sore pain than the one I had last week at cardio. Needless to say, I am no longer doing hero pose, and am seriously considering modifying child pose.

As kettlebell doesn't require the rapid use of ankle movements, and since my ankle really was feeling tons better, I went ahead to kettlebell. Oh baby, is that a workout! Love it! My friend tried it out today. She said, "You warned me it would be tough, but wow." haha! I don't know if she'll be back. I hope so though. Afterwards, we sat and talked for a little while and she showed me her weight loss program. It looks great! But, I will be expounding on it on the weight loss blog. This is already a long post!

Then we decided to play some racquetball. If I ever have a chance to play, I will take it. That is when the more painful injury occurred. We had only been playing about 20 minutes when I went for a ball that was along the wall. I got it, but was going too fast and too close to the wall to stop myself. I used my shoulder to hit the wall and when I followed through with my swing, I hit the wall so the racquet had to come down and go across my side. When I did that, I hit myself in the elbow. Hurt so bad it took my breath away and I couldn't get to the next ball. Actually, I didn't even move after that. It's just a bruise and a blood blister. I'm brilliant, huh.

So, I'm forgoing yogalates and volleyball tonight. As of now, cardio is still on the calendar for tomorrow. We'll see...

8 chocolate lovers:

nicole said...

Oh no! Sounds like a tough day for you. Hope you get better soon!

Trisha said...

Can you imagine if you had all of this free time to work on yourself every day? You're a stud.

Mamapierce said...

It sounds like your body is trying to tell you something?

Croft Family said...

Wow! I hope I can become as dedicated as you. Only 4 more months and then the baby is out and I can start working on loosing my baby fat.

Rachel said...

I absolutely LOVE child's pose! I never thought of it putting strain on ankles because for me it is complete relaxation! And that is the great thing about gentle yoga... I'm sure the teacher has a great modification for that. I'm sooo signing up for that class by the way!

Sarah C said...

I hope you get feeling better soon. You are working out like crazy. Way to go!

Robyn said...

I think I lost 5 lbs just reading about all this working out!
You go girl!

Dion said...

Melisa- Have you heard of the "Kettlebell Goddess" workouts? I think you would like it. I do.