Monday, October 19, 2009

Oops

How do I let myself get so far behind in blogging? Oops.

Roo's birthday definitely showcased my Jonesness. We aren't very talented cake decorators in my family. This was my attempt at making a cake with red frosting and a duck (Roo's favorite animal).
I know. You are crazy jealous of my mad skills. That or you are debating if you should turn me in to Cake Wrecks. Yes, I know it looks pink, but he didn't seem to notice. And if you knew how horrible my handwriting is, you'd understand why I used a computer. And I do feel silly for running out of orange frosting. But I can't take credit for the sprinkles. Roo was given free rein for that.

And in sad news, our camera died this week, though it was thankfully after Roo's birthday. Why can't it be Christmas already?! Here are the final pictures from our much beloved 6.5 yr old camera.




Suspicious final picture, huh. I don't know how long I can last without a camera. I take lots of pictures. I'm pretty sad about it. :o( But, I did get pictures for Roo's birthday and will be putting them on Cookie shortly.

7 chocolate lovers:

Trisha said...

I once attempted red icing and threw it out and started over. Must be a trick to it. I think your cake is fabulous... there's just something special about homemade cakes. :) Good job!

Dion said...

So sorry about your camera!

I have never attempted a homemade cake - well, except that one I made for my Mom when I was 12. I don't have a creative, cake-making bone in my body.

Laurie said...

Cute idea to print out the writing so you don't have to try to use icing. It's so hard to work with!

How is life? Are you making new friends in Philly? Brad liking work? I want updates!

Jennifer said...

How fun!

For future cake-making reference, Wilton sells a red concentrated gel that will create red icing. I made an Elmo cake a few years ago, and it worked great. You can find it at craft stores. Just so ya know. I'm usually the order-the-cake-from-the-grocery-store-two-days-before kind of mom.

nicole said...

Ooo... red icing! I've had so many disasters trying to make it. (did you ever see the infamous red icing picture?) Just make sure it's tightly sealed so the kids can't get into it. he he... Anyway, no matter how much food coloring you use, it seems like it just won't turn completely red. And then it tastes nasty because eventually, there's almost more food coloring than sugar in it. So I definitely recommend Jennifer's idea.
And I love the printing it out on the computer idea... genius!

Victoria :) said...

I just love your willingness to make such special cakes for your kiddos. I am sure he was excited all the same. That is a smart idea by the way...to use the computer for the writing. I am horrible at writing on cakes. Just not steady enough.
As far as the color...I think if you add a droplet of purple in there it darkens and makes a richer red color. At least I think that's what I have been told. ;o)

Crystal said...

Don't worry, Lisa, Cake Wrecks only posts professional pictures. She doesn't make fun of home bakers. You're good.