Thursday, March 6, 2008

C

After Brad got home and we ate dinner, we all went on a walk. It was quite cold, but we all had fun. The boys drove a Jeep. They put their webkinz they got for J's bday in the trunk. When we had driven for a little while, they stopped and switched places (without our suggestion), and switched the animals in the truck as well. It was so adorable.

C has an addiction to Captain Crunch. I'm not even kidding. She goes crazy for them. I can't get her to eat anything else. I might consider just letting her get hungry until she eats whatever I give her, but I'm already uncomfortable with her dropping from the 95% to 53%. How tough should I get with her? I'll give her a grilled cheese sandwich and she'll scream. I get her out of her high chair and she'll run over to the Crunch and cry and cry until she gets it. With her lack of weight gain I'm scared to get into a huge food fight with her. Do I just wait for her to get over this addiction?

8 chocolate lovers:

Mamapierce said...

Do I need to remind you that I ate your whole container of captain crunch when I came to visit you???

herb.doc said...

You know in your heart that Captain Crunch is a "food" laden with artificial ingredients and well as plenty of white sugar. Calet is obviously addicted to the sugar. She is eating that instead of a healthy breakfast. As her mother you owe it to her to feed her healthy foods. She might take a while to calm down her addiction to sugar, but it is in her best interest to help her through it. Just because kids throw a fit when you don't give in to them, doesn't mean you need to give in to them. Don't buy that unhealthy cereal, and then show her the cupboard. She will get used to the fact you are not going to give in. There are cereals in the health food stores that are delicious, as well as nutritional. Since you are so comfortable with the computer, try looking up processed sugar and see what information is found on the harm it can do. You probably didn't want to hear what I have to say, but sometimes you younger mothers want to please your kids, at any cost. Just because everybody else does it, doesn't make it right. A lot of young kids these days are becoming unhealthy because of all the preservatives, artificial flavorings and colorings that parents unwittingly give to them. Arm your children with a good defense to fight off all coming plagues. You are a smart, very loving mother and I can tell by your blog, that you didn't feel right giving her the cereal. Trust your feelings. I hope I didn't come down too hard on you. You did ask for suggestions. :-) Trust me. You know I want only the best for you and your family. Love you, Janielle

herb.doc said...

I just read my blog, and I'm sorry if I came on too strong. You are an awesome niece, so thoughtful and so loving. Being as old as the hills, I have seen more sickness than I care to remember. I know a healthy immune system plays a big part in a child's health. I'm not saying giving in to an occasional treat is all that bad, but it sounded like that is all Calet wanted for breakfast. Good luck. I remember what it was like having three young kids. You're doing the best you can, I'm sure. I wouldn't have offered you my opinion, if you hadn't asked for suggestions. I love you, Janielle

Becky said...

I tried to make a comment, but it didn't work the first time, so let's try again. I said that at least you child was eating solids. Isaac only likes milk. I just recently got him to start eating oranges. Kids!

Jenn said...

Wow, sounds like you got quite a lot of advice... You are on your third kid, so I'm pretty sure you know what you are doing. Elle is the same way though, sometimes I just give her Cocoa Roos and sometimes I don't. She loves oatmeal, but I give it to her like a cold cereal with just a tiny bit of sweetness, and she loves cream of wheat.

And, since I am strongly opinionated, it's not the preservatives, artificial flavorings, and colorings, that are making kids unhealthy, it's gluttony. Just my two cents.

The Melo's said...

Well, my sister-in-law, who is a nutritionist and makes lunch menus for elementary schools, did make a good point one day while we were talking about this, she said that most cereals now are fortified with lots of vitamins, not that that makes it a good staple food, but it isn't ALL bad. And this is just a faze, before you know it, she will be eating other things and there will be something else for you to worry about, that seems to be the way it goes with us anyway.

Croft Family said...

Don't worry about it. Like the last blog said most cereals now are fortified with lots of vitamins. If she doesn't grow out of it. It will eventually slow down. My daughter is addicted to peanut butter sandwiches. She would eat them for all 3 meals if I would let her. She is now four and it is slowing down. Now she is happy with getting one for Lunch and a mid day snack :)

Anonymous said...

So she goes crazy for Captain Crunch huh?? :) It could be worse...

Let me start by reassuring you Calet is at a healthy wt. The normal wt range is anywhere between the 5th and the 95th percentile. Yup, I did say 5th. So you can see there is a huge range of what is considered normal wt for a child. As long as she remains somewhere in this range you are fine. She wasn't always going to remain in the 95th percentile and quite frankly you don't want her to either. With the rates of childhood obesity the current recommendations are for children to be somewhere between the 25th-50th percentile. So Calet is just fine. Food jags with children are completely normal...and don't we still go through them as adults?! :) The only difference being we know better. Nothing ever last as long as it seems. I bet you will look back on this and realize it was only a few weeks in her life she was so addicted to Captain Crunch. :) Relax. You are doing a great job!
Lots of love,
Your Dietitian Friend,
Victoria