Sunday, August 24, 2008

Next project

Just a few pictures of the kiddos on the cookie blog. Nothing too exciting. Stinker eating all of my chocolate. The kids at our neighbor's pool. Our neighbors had a pool party yesterday, and we met some more people on our street. We have such a friendly neighborhood, I never knew who was on my street and who wasn't. People will just stop and talk. I can't keep all of the names straight! We got a couple "Oh, so you're the ones that bought the house on the end of the street" followed by "and cut down all of those beautiful trees..." haha! Why do I feel the need to justify it? They were swarming with ants, too close to the house, eaten by the ash bore or in the way (and don't get me started on the one that apparently fell on the house years before we bought it). We still have 10 trees (not counting the ones behind the shed)! We have a very wooded neighborhood and some people feel that we hurt 'the look' of the area by chopping down 20 trees. Okay, they didn't come out and say that, but they'd comment about all the trees we cut and then a few minutes later say how much they love all of the trees on our street. I can put 2 and 2 together. But they did also say that they liked what we've done with it, so I don't think they are bitter. I just find it amusing, I guess, that they've probably been cursing us under their breath the last year. KIDDING! We had so much fun and everyone was so nice. I love living here. We've already received invites to the Christmas walk-through. I guess they walk from house to house and show off their decorations and trees. Whoa. No pressure Melisa. (Mental note to actually get a tree this year (we've had a 2 ft artificial tree we've been using), put up more than an advent calendar and a string of lights for decoration, and maybe get rid of the ugly wall paper. At least I have 3.5 months to prepare.)

We are hoping to make some progress on this project over the next few weeks. Yikes. Wish us luck. Here is the beginning step: leveling out the ground.
Yes, the hill at the bottom of the picture is the famous 'Killer Wasp' den. Don't worry, the missionaries came over and fixed that problem. Right after eating some of my ornamental Thai chilies and burning their mouths. I haven't seen any killer wasps since.



6 chocolate lovers:

Mamapierce said...

There's SO MUCH you could do to decorate your home! I wish I lived closer so we could decorate together...I love decorating for Christmas! :o) Your sidewalk is beautiful!

Becky said...

Here's wishing you luck! Trees. Well, some people should visit Utah and see how tough it is to actually keep a tree alive. Everything grows in Michigan and you don't even have to water it. Those trees, if the neighbors are still in mourning, will grow back in just a few years. Yes, I hate those ash borers that ruin all the Ash trees.

Stephanie said...

Wow, looks like you guys have your hands full with work! My birthday is November 28th if that is close to yours...

Raina said...

That is funny how your neighbors can be so direct about your trees. My father-in-law cut down almost all of his trees in his yard. But I guess it did probably look like a forest from what I heard.
Always a work in progress!
I haven't checked out your other blogs, yet. I need to find them on my email and then post them to my site.

Debbie said...

Wow, I'd love to see before and after pictures. How fun to make home improvements. Lot's of work but definitely fun to look back on. And by the way, I'm still holding out hope. Have you heard the mess OSU Medical Center is in?? We might not have a residency program this time next year!

Nata-Leigh (Lubbock's Mom) said...

Ah, the Christmas Crawl (as it's called on my block). Yes, lots of pressure. A suggestion ... if they're serving drinks, ask to be one the last houses ... nobody will remember anyway!