Monday, September 28, 2009

Calling all girlie girls!

Oh yum. Tonight we made chicken fajitas. We didn't have any tortillas, so I made some. And they were soooo yummy. Completely misshapen, but yummy. And Brad made some sopaipillas. Oh mercy, were they good! I stuffed myself silly! I put the recipes up on Spoonful of Sugar if you want to try it out too!

And so now we get to the point of my title. I need help. Lots of it. In the last 2 yrs, I've had 1 haircut and 1 pedicure and they were both for my brother's wedding. It just isn't in the budget. Go figure. But, my nails are growing out and so I'm feeling like they should be painted. They problem is, I'm terrible. I can't do a straight line to save my life. If you've read this blog any length of time you will know I'm not above humiliating myself. Look at these nails!

Help! Since this is my right hand, I could use the excuse that I'm not left-handed and that is why the paint job is so bad, but the truth is my left hand looks just as bad. My question to you girlie girls, who actually know a thing or two about beauty, is 'how do you get a clean line on your French manicures?' Anyone? Tips? Ideas? Advice? Help!

7 chocolate lovers:

Trisha said...

I can't help you here. I don't paint my nails. But look at how pretty your nails are! I would learn to paint mine too if mine looked like that!

Sarah C said...

You have beautiful nails. I don't have any advice on painting them, but I think they look great. If you wanted to get them done without paying a lot of money, you could go to a beauty school. I have done that before and had a good experience.

Alexandra said...

HAHAHA who has time or money! I just like to put clear on mine to give them shine and strength after I buff and sand my claws down. I used to use a white paint pen to put the white tips on, then use a q-tip with polish remover to clean up afterwards. Good luck!

Jessi said...

Before I had children, 'doing my nails' was one thing I LOVED doing...truthfully, it's the only thing I *could* do (I'm not a make-up wearer because it just seems too complicated)...and have thought about getting a nail tech license when the kids reach school-age.

You have a couple of options when it comes to French manicure. They actually make 'guides' that you can stick onto your nails, paint the white tip, wait for paint to dry, then peel off...leaving you with a clean line. OR they make a white pencil where you can 'color' the underside of your nail, making it look white, and then all you have to do is add a clear or slightly tinted top coat. OR you can try to do it like they do in the salons....add white paint to tip, use paint brush dipped in polish remover to achieve your line. I've tried all three and use the 'guide stickers' the most. You can get them at most Sally Beauty stores...and maybe even at WM.

Hope this makes sense and is helpful. Good luck!

Laurie said...

I used to have a little trouble with the guide stickers b/c I didn't wait long enough to take them off.

Just recently though I was watching the girl at the nail shop do a french pedicure for me and their secret is using a medium/small makeup brush that they dip in the nail polish remover. They apply the white liberally and then take the makeup brush and dip in the remover and press on the nailbed and it fans out in the rounded shape of the nail, if that makes any sense. It was interesting.

Victoria :) said...

Hmm, I don't know a thing about french manicures. Never been patient enough to do them! I haven't painted my nails at all since I had Trev...in fact I haven't painted my nails much since I got married! HAHAHA! ...and if you remember all through highschool, college and early 20's I was pretty particular about my nails. :o) Oh well, time changes things!

Mamapierce said...

I believe they sell french manicure sets with tape to help you paint them just right. I personally think that your nails are lovely as is. Good luck!