Saturday, July 25, 2009

My Saturday

This is how we spent our Saturday.

This was the side that had all the flowers die. So, I was able to fill it with dirt and then transplant the ones that didn't die from the other side.

This side had all the flowers that lived, so I transplanted them to the other side so I could fill it with dirt. This is what it looked like before:
Brad did awesome with the bricks and the siding, huh. Makes a huge difference! These flowers are now on the other side.
And this is the before of the ivy garden

I can't even tell you how many hours and how many bags and how much shoveling and pulling it took to rip out this much ivy. Ugh. And just so I don't forget the experience, I have itchy rashes all over. I've scratched so hard, I'm bruising. And that was from last week's pulling. We pulled it all last week. This week was prettying it up.
We made it a hosta garden. Why? They were free. We got them from the driveway. This is where they used to be.

It looks kinda silly there, huh.

I love it now. I think the rocks are so pretty. I didn't feel like investing in flowers, but the mulch was a must since I don't see myself enjoying weeding here as much as I did in MI. Oh, and the plant in the pot was brought from MI. Jamo got it in school and it has grown from an itty bitty little plant. It has beautiful purple buds. And this is what the neighbor's side looks like. Yes, I will be spending plenty of time keeping the ivy and weeds from coming back over. Joy.

15 chocolate lovers:

Laurie said...

Time well spent! Making beauty where there was none. Way to do something positive to that space!! You are going to bloom there just like your garden. :-) Love ya!!

Joy said...

Wow! I can't imagine all of that work- I hate pulling weeds!

Dion said...

Bloom where you're planted!

Trisha said...

Looks good!

Rebecca said...

Awesome job! Yard work is hard but so worth it. Your place looks great.

Mamapierce said...

You did a great job! I really enjoy gardening now and it looks like you do, too!

Jenn said...

Every time I think of ivy I think of uncle Kenny and pulling a ton of ivy our some old lady's yard and there being a HUGE rats' nest inside...I might be a little off on the details, but my dad said he's hated ivy ever since. I don't blame him. Glad there were no rats.

Victoria :) said...

You are quite the gardener! It looks awesome. I am sad to say my strawberry plants and about half of the hibiscus plants I have planted have died. Funny, one side of the flower gardens lived and the other side did not. All the plants said "full sun"...I just don't think they meant "full heat"! LOL!

Natalie said...

What a productive day! Your gardening skills amaze me and I too love that rock wall that enloses the hosta garden. Maybe all that surgical know-how is paying off...you have some serious transplanting skills! :) I hope you're loving Philly and I miss you tons!

Bea said...

looks great!

Missy said...

You rock, Melisa. It looks so much better!

Anonymous said...

Looks great! We did our front flower bed this spring and were fortunate to discover that our city recycling center lets you pick up glass by the truckful for free! It has all been tumbled and is smooth enough to walk on. We used it for Mulch and it works perfectly!

I love the hosta transplant...looks so much better now.

Syd said...

sounds like things there in PA are very interesting for you. Hey, could you take me off the sidebar of Married to Medicine, I just don't have the time to contribute, and I don't really love having the link to me there. Thanks Melisa...

ChristyLou said...

You are amazing! What a huge amount of work. I looks gorgeous and I'm very impressed.

elg said...

Awesome. But having dealt with an annoying vine before I have to wonder if you really got rid of it. I hope for your sanity you did.