Saturday, July 24, 2010

River rat

My grandparents owned a rafting company when I was growing up. It was great during family reunions because we had all of the equipment for rafting and half of my family has been a river guide at some point.

I love the excitement and adventure of the white water. Dodging boulders and avoiding whirlpools can be quite the rush. Then I heard about Dragon Boat racing. White water rafting it is not. It is, however, still a blast. And such a workout! I really had no clue it would be so exhausting! Of course, we did practice our starts numerous times and do a couple practice races all in the space of an hour, so that could be part of it! LOL!

I still miss rafting, but it feels great to be back in the water with a paddle!

6 chocolate lovers:

rafting cagayan de oro said...

That was great! since your grandpa owns a rafting company, you guys can have a really great time in the river. im a rafting fan also and love reading stories bout rafting adventure.thanks for the post?^_^

Melisa said...

Yay for rafting!

They sold the company when they moved away from California. And, sadly, it hasn't been in my budget lately. It was nice when it was free! LOL!

Jenn said...

You know, I think rafting is in our blood. My dad is already teaching Ellie how to maneuver in his kayak in the pool!! LOL! I miss the river and wish we could afford it too!

Melisa said...

Very possibly a genetic component. It would explain why most of our aunts and uncles are guides. And quite a few cousins too. That, and we just have a really cool family. :o)

Jenn said...

Oh yeah, we have a cool family!! There must be a genetic component, maybe like all those sailors and surfers, the ocean is in their blood.

elg said...

I <3 rafting. I have some stories to tell about the summer I guided the race course, which was during a year with really high water.